- Gay, John, & Cole, Michael. (1967). The new mathematics and an old culture: A study of learning among the Kpelle of Liberia. New York: Holt and Rinehart.
- Cole, M., Gay, J., Glick, J., & Sharp, D. (1969). Linguistic structure and transposition. Science, 164, 90-91.
- Cole, Michael, Maltzman, Irving, & Institut psikhologii (Akademia pedagogicheskikh nauk RSFSR). (1969). A handbook of contemporary Soviet psychology. New York: Basic Books.
- Cole, Michael. (1971). The Cultural context of learning and thinking: An exploration in experimental anthropology. New York: Basic Books.
- Cole, M., & Bruner, J. S. (1971). Cultural differences and inferences about psychological process. American Psychologist, 26(10), 867-876.
- Cole, M. & Scribner (1972). Effects of constrained recall training on children’s performance in a verbal memory task. Child Development, 43(845-857).
- Cole, Michael, & Scribner, Sylvia. (1974). Culture and thought: A psychological introduction. New York: Wiley.
- Cole, M. (1975). Culture, cognition, and I.Q. testing. The National Elementary Principal, 54(49-52).
- Cole, M., & Scribner, S. (1975). Theorizing about socialization of cognition. Ethos, 3, 250-268.
- Cole, M., Sharp, D., & Lave, J. (1976). The cognitive consequences of education: Some empirical evidence of theoretical misgivings. The Urban Review, 9(4), 218-233.
- Cole, Michael. (1977). Soviet developmental psychology: An anthology. White Plains, N.Y.: M. E. Sharpe.
- Cole, M., Hood, L., & McDermott, R. (1977). Some Criteria for an Adequate Description of Mental Activities: The Rockefeller University.
- Cole, M., & Scribner, S. (1977). Developmental theories applied to cross-cultural cognitive research. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 285, 366-373.
- Hall, W. S., Reder, S., Cole, M., & Dowley, G. (1977). Variations in young children’s use of language: Some effects of setting and dialect. In R. O. Freedle (Ed.), Discourse production and comprehension (pp. 161-173). Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
- Cole, Michael (Ed.). (1978). The selected writings of A. R. Luria. White Plains, N.Y.: M. E. Sharpe.
- Cole, M., Hood, L., & McDermott, R. (1978). Ecological niche picking: Ecological invalidity as an axiom of experimental cognitive psychology. Working Paper. Laboratory of Comparative Human Cognition; Institute for Comparative Human Development.
- Cole, Michael, John-Steiner, Vera, Scribner, Sylvia, & Souberman, Ellen (Eds.). (1978). L. S. Vygotsky, Mind in society: The development of higher psychological processes. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Scribner, S., & Cole, M. (1978). Unpackaging literacy. UNESCO International Social Science Council: Social Science Information, 17(1), 19-29.
- Cole, M., & Cole, S. (Eds.). (1979). The making of mind: A personal account of Soviet psychology. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Cole, M., & Griffin, P. (1980). Cultural amplifiers reconsidered. In D. Olson (Ed.), Social foundations of language and thought. New York: W. W. Norton.
- Cole, Michael, & Means, Barbara. (1981). Comparative studies of how people think: An introduction. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Cole, M., & Traupmann, K. (1981). Comparative cognitive research: Learning from a learning disabled child. In W. A. Collins (Ed.), Minnesota Symposium on Child Development (Vol. 14). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Scribner, S., & Cole, M. (1981). The psychology of literacy. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Cole, M., & Griffin, P. (1983). A socio-historical approach to re-mediation. The Quarterly Newsletter of the Laboratory of Comparative Human Cognition, 5(4), 69-74.
- Cole, M., Miyake, N., & Newman, D. (1983). Proceedings of the Conference on Joint Problem Solving and Microcomputers, Technical Report No. 1: Laboratory of Comparative Human Cognition; Center for Human Information Processing; University of California San Diego.
- Newman, D., Griffin, P., & Cole, M. (1984). Social constraints in laboratory and classroom tasks. In J. Lave & B. Rogoff (Eds.), Everyday cognition: Its development in social context (pp. 172-193). Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Cole, M. (1988). Cross-cultural research in the socio-historical tradition. Human Development, 31, 147-157.
- Cole, M., Cole, S. R., & Lightfoot, C. (2005). The development of children. Macmillan.
- Newman, Denis, Griffin, Peg, & Cole, Michael. (1989). The construction zone: Working for cognitive change in school. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Cole, M. (1991). The cultural-historical tradition in psychology and the rise of communication as a new academic discipline. In R. Preston (Ed.), Proceedings of the Centres of Excellence Conference, 1989: The potential for social science and humanities. Toronto: Wilfrid Laurier University Press.
- Scott, T., Cole, M., & Engel, M. (1992). Computers and education: A cultural constructivist perspective. In G. Grant (Ed.), Review of research in education, Volume 18. Washington, DC: AERA.
- Gauvain, Mary, & Cole, Michael. (1993). Readings on the development of children. New York, NY: Scientific American.
- Cole, M. (1995). Cultural-historical psychology: A meso-genetic approach. In L. W. Martin, K. Nelson & E. Toback (Eds.), Cultural psychology and activity theory: Essays in honor of Sylvia Scribner. New York: Cambridge University.
- Cole, M. (1995). Culture and cognitive development: From cross-cultural research to creating systems of cultural mediation. Culture & Psychology, 1(1), 25-54.
- Cole, Michael. (1996). Cultural psychology: A once and future discipline. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Cole, M. (1996). Interacting minds in a lifespan perspective: A culturalhistorical approach to culture and cognitive development. In P. B. Baltes & U. M. Staudinger (Eds.), Interactive minds: Life-span perspectives on the social foundation of cognition (pp. 59-87). New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Cole, M. , & Wertsch, J. (1996). Beyond the individual-social antinomy in discussions of Piaget and Vygotsky. Human Development, 39, 250-256.
- Cole, Michael, & Wertsch, James V. (1996). Contemporary implications of Vygotsky and Luria. Worcester, MA: Clark University Press.
- Cole, Michael, Engeström, Yrjö, & Vasquez, Olga A. (1997). Mind, culture, and activity: Seminal papers from the Laboratory of Comparative Human Cognition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Newman, D., & Cole, M. (2004). Can scientific research from the laboratory be of any help to teachers? Theory into Practice, 43(4), 260- 267.
- Nocon, H., Nilsson, M., & Cole, M. (2004). Spiders, firesouls, and little fingers: Necessary magic in university-community collaboration. Anthropology and Education Quarterly, 35, 368-385.
- Cole, Michael, & Distributed Literacy Consortium. (2006). The fifth dimension: An after-school program built on diversity. New York: Russell Sage.
- Cole, M. (2007). Sustaining model systems of educational activity: Designing for the long haul. In Children’s learning in and out of school: Essays in honor of Ann Brown (pp. 71-89).
- Daniels, Harry, Cole, Michael, & Wertsch, James V. (2007). The Cambridge companion to Vygotsky. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Cole, M. (2008). The illusion of culture-free intelligence testing.
Return to Mike Cole’s Bio Page