Professor and Director of teacher education / Co-director of the Assessment for Teaching and Learning Project, Erikson Institute
Professor Gillian McNamee is director of teacher education at Erikson and co-director of the Assessment for Teaching and Learning Project. She works closely with early childhood teacher candidates during their preparation for teaching and provides long-term consultation to teachers in schools, particularly those serving children and families in challenging social and economic situations.
Dr. McNamee is coauthor of two books: Early Literacy (Harvard University Press, 1990) and Bridging: Assessment for Teaching and Learning in Early Childhood Classrooms (Corwin Press, 2007). She has been a Spencer Fellow with the National Academy of Education. In 1998, she was one of the first recipients of the Sunny Days Award from Children’s Television Workshop/Sesame Street Magazine, which recognized her innovative work in arts infused teacher education.
Biography courtesy of Erikson
- Chen, J. and McNamee, G. (2011). Approaches to Early Childhood Education. In J. Johnson & J. Roopnarine (Eds.), Approaches to Early Childhood Education (6th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson. (In press).
- Chen, J.Q. & McNamee, G.D. (2011). Positive Approaches to Learning in the Context of Preschool Classroom Activities. Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education, 39, 71-78.
- McNamee, G.D. (2010). Book Review: “The Classrooms That All Young Children Need.” Schools: Studies in Education.
- Chen, J.Q., McNamee, G.D., & McCray, J. (2010). The Learning Profile: A Means to Understand the Learning and Development of the Whole Child in Content Areas. International Early Learning Journal, 1, 1-24.
- Chen, J.Q. & McNamee, G.D. (2010). Young Children’s Approaches to Learning A Sociocultural Perspective. Early Childhood Development and Care, 00, 1-16.
- McNamee, G.D. (2009). Imaginary Stories in School: First Steps Toward Literacy. Bank Street College of Education Occasional Papers. New York.
- Chen, J. and McNamee, G. (2008). From Spectrum to Bridging: Assessment for Teaching and Learning in Early Childhood Classrooms. In J. Johnson & J. Roopnarine (Eds.), Approaches to Early Childhood Education (5th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.
- Chen, J.Q & McNamee, G.D. (2007). Bridging: Assessment for teaching and learning in Early Childhood Classrooms. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
- Cole, M. and Distributed Literacy Consortium (16 contributing authors with McNamee representing work carried out in Chicago). (2006). The Fifth Dimension: An After School Program Built on Diversity. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
- Chen, J.Q., & McNamee, G. (2006). Strengthening Early Childhood Teacher Preparation: Integrating Assessment, Curriculum Development and Instructional Practice in Student Teaching. Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education, 27, 109-128.
- McNamee, G.D. (2005). The One Who Gathers Children: The Work of Vivian Gussin Paley and Current Debates About How We Educate Young Children. Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education.
- McNamee, G.D., & Chen, J.Q. (2005). Dissolving the Line Between Assessment and Teaching.Educational Leadership, 63(3), 72-77.
- McNamee, G.D. (2002). Children’s Development in the Arts: Birth to Age 10. In Sousa, J. (Ed.). Looking at Art Together: Families and Lifelong Learning. Chicago, IL: Art Institute of Chicago.
- McNamee, G.D., & Sivright, S. (2002). Community Supports for Writing Development among Urban African American Children. In G. Hull (Ed.), School’s Out! Studies of Literacy in Non-School Contexts.New York: Teachers’ College Press.
- McNamee, G. D., Chen, J., et al. (2002). Assessing and Teaching Diverse Learners. Journal of Early Childhood Teacher Education, 226, 1-8.
- McNamee, G. D. (2002). Early Literacy Development: The Mind of the Teacher. Connections, a publication of the Chicago Metro Association for the Education of Young Children.
Selected Publications linked to LCHC
- Hall, W. S., Cole, M., Reder, S., & Dowley [McNamee], G. (1977). Variations in young children’s use of language: Some effects of setting and dialect. In Discourse production and comprehension.
- Cole, M., Dore, J., Hall, W. S., & Dowley [McNamee], G. (1978). Situational Variability in the Speech of Preschool Children. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 318(1), 65-105.
- McNamee, G. D. (1979).The Social Interaction Origins of Narrative Skills. The Quarterly Newsletter of the Laboratory of Comparative Human Cognition, 1(4), 63-68.
- Newman, D., Dowley [McNamee], G., & Pratt, M. W. (1978). The development of narrative skills: Responses to the task of describing. LCHD and ICHD Working Papers. New York: The Rockefeller University Press.
Back to People Directory